Orange pomander balls will give your home an instant holiday feel. The aroma of orange, cloves and warm spices smells amazing and it also is great holiday decor. This DIY project is also super easy... so easy in fact that you can get your children in on it! The particular method I will be sharing is the way that my fiancé's family does it :) There are ways to do it with out as many spices and I have also seen them covered in glitter!
What You Will Need
- 3-4 oranges depending on size
- A LOT of cloves! I would purchase 2 of the biggest bottles available.
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons of ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons of ground cloves
- Festive ribbon
1. Before you cut your ribbon, measure it around your orange. For a midsized orange I would do anywhere from 3-4 feet of ribbon. Once you figure that out, wrap the ribbon around the orange like you would a present and knot it at the top. The ribbon will serve as your guide.
2. Take your toothpick and start poking holes in the orange. This is where your cloves will go. I have seen people get very creative here.
3. Insert cloves. During this process you can see where you can add more cloves and just work them in.
4. Once you are done inserting cloves, take off your ribbon because its time to bathe your orange in spices.
5. Mix all of your spices in a large bowl and roll your orange. The spices will clump in between the cloves but thats okay just pat it off.
6. Tie your ribbon around your spiced cloved orange and knot the top so that you can hang it from a door knob. Taaadaa!! Done.
The frangrance is amazing!