|Image: Graeme Weatherston / FreeDigitalPhotos.net|
Hair is something that we have to deal with every day. :( Sometimes I just love playing with my hair but for the most part... I'd rather play with my make up. Its the truth. Over the years, I have developed some habits that have helped me stay out of the hair salon and yet keep healthy, shiny looking hair. I only have a few tips but I think if you put these things into your daily routine then you will surely see a difference in your hair.
- Don't wash your hair every day. I know that sounds gross but sometimes its good to let your natural oils come out. At first you will find that your hair looks plain greasy but once you accustom your hair to not be washed every day... you will find that your hair looks less oily when it is not washed. I was my hair every 2 to 3 days.
- Why blow dry it when you can air dry it. Not only does this save electricity but it puts less heat on your hair therefore keeping it healthier.
- Use heat protectants on your hair prior to using flat irons or blow dryers. I can't stress this enough!! I recommend CHI 44 Iron Guard Thermal Protection Spray - 8.5 oz.
- Use leave in conditioners at least once a week. This will definitely help you stay out of the hair salon. If you are interested in growing out your hair this could save you at least one trip to the salon. I do recommend getting trims regularly (I'll get into that soon) but using a leave in conditioner can really help you have less of a trim. I use Aveda Damage Remedy Conditioner, 6.7-Ounce Tube... its a little pricey but its worth it and will last you a very long time.
- Get a trim!! Nothing looks worse than long hair that is unhealthy or has nothing but split ends. If you feel like your hair is damaged... get it cut. :) I know it sounds like common sense but girls make the common mistake of growing too attached to their length even if the hair is in bad shape. I try to visit the salon every 3 months to get a trim or just change up my style. This way I'm ensuring that my split ends are going up higher and that my hair looks nice. :)